Jewelry has held an important place in society for centuries. In its most basic form, jewelry has been used since the dawn of mankind, along with clothing and tools. Jewelry existed before there was written language or even spoken word.
Jewelry has long played an important role in our lives because it decorates our bodies, complements our clothing, marks our achievements, and serves as a vehicle for personal expression. Below are some of our Cleveland jewelry store’s favorite jewelry quotes. Some of them are funny, clever, or charming, while others give you some food for thought.
1. “A man's got two shots for jewelry: a wedding ring and a watch. The watch is a lot easier to get on and off than a wedding ring.” – John Mayer
2. “Jewelry and pins have been worn throughout history as symbols of power, sending messages. Interestingly enough, it was mostly men who wore the jewelry in various times, and obviously crowns were part of signals that were being sent throughout history by people of rank.” – Madeleine Albright
3. “I adore wearing gems, but not because they are mine. You can't possess radiance, you can only admire it.” – Elizabeth Taylor
4. “Jewelry takes people's minds off your wrinkles.” - Sonja Henie
5. “Perhaps time's definition of coal is the diamond.” - Kahlil Gibran
6. “I really think that American gentlemen are the best after all, because kissing your hand may make you feel very very good but a diamond and a sapphire bracelet lasts forever.” - Anita Loos
7. “The hues of the opal, the light of the diamond, are not to be seen if the eye is too near.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “Let us not be too particular. It is better to have old second-hand diamonds than none at all.” - Mark Twain
9. “Matching your hat to your shoe to your bag, or your necklace to your earrings, has a tendency to look dated. Mixing up your accessories adds interest to an outfit, and can make you look much more modern and polished.” – Stacy London
10. “When I finish dressing before a night out and have put on all the accessories, I usually look at myself in the mirror long and hard and then end up removing something. Whether it's a belt, bracelet or a bauble, less is always more.” – Joan Collins
11. “Colour is what gives jewels their worth. They light up and enhance the face. Nothing is more elegant than a black skirt and sweater worn with a sparkling multi-stoned necklace.” – Christian Dior
12. “Praise, like gold and diamonds, owes its value only to its scarcity.” – Samuel Johnson
13. “A woman needs ropes and ropes of pearls.” – Coco Chanel
14. “If you don’t know jewelry, know the jeweler.” – Warren Buffet
15. “Your cheeks are beautiful with earrings, your neck with strings of jewels.” Song of Solomon 1:10
16. “You can’t cry on a diamond’s shoulder, and diamonds won’t keep you warm at night, but they’re sure fun when the sun shines.” - Elizabeth Taylor
17. “No gold-digging for me; I take diamonds! We may be off the gold standard someday.” – Mae West
18. “Some asked me where the rubies grew,
And nothing I did say;
But with my finger pointed to
The lips of Julia.”
- Robert Herrick
19. “Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.” – Chinese Proverb
20. “Men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage - they've experienced pain and bought jewelry.” – Rita Rudner
What are your favorite jewelry quotes?
IMG Jewelers is a leading jewelry store in Cleveland, Ohio that offers engagement rings, fashion rings, bracelets, necklaces, estate jewelry, custom jewelry, bridal sets, and more. To see IMG Jewelers’ jewelry collection, visit our showroom in Lyndhurst, or browse our pieces online.