Choosing an honest and experienced jeweler is a momentous decision. Many of the larger purchases you make in your life will be from a jeweler, so you want to find one who is honest, forthright, and well qualified to help you both now and in the future. This list of questions will help you ensure that you end up with a solid jeweler. Some will be questions for your own consideration, and others will be questions to directly ask any potential jeweler.
1. Is the jeweler listening to you, with an ear to understand what you are looking for? Unfortunately, some jewelers allow their own biases to cloud their ability to listen to you.
2. Does the jeweler offer a wide array of services? These services might include an in-house gemologist, a custom jewelry designer, and a bench jeweler.
3. Is the jeweler knowledgeable about his craft? Any employee should be able to answer all questions you bring to the table, or at least refer to someone else on staff.
4. Is the jeweler able to repair jewelry? To make it a bit more personal, would you trust this jeweler to repair your family’s heirloom jewelry? If the answer to this question is yes, you may need to walk away.
5. Does the jeweler offer to teach you how to understand the value of a diamond in relation to the 4 C’s? To test this, you can ask to see the cut of the diamond or see color grading stones for comparison.
6. How long has the jeweler been in business, and what is the reputation of the jeweler in the community? It may be worthwhile to ask for references from the jeweler.
7. Is the jeweler kind, and do you like him or her? It is too easy to overlook personality when seeking out a professional, but this is vital for your consideration for a jeweler.
8. What are the policies about warranties and returns? Surprisingly, these policies vary widely from one jeweler to another, so it is important to understand these before making any purchase.
9. Does the jeweler have a good selection? This cannot be overlooked, as you are going to the jeweler to make a purchase. If the store is too small, you may need to find a different jeweler.
10. Overall, can you trust the jeweler? This is a combination of reputation, referral history, your interaction with the jeweler, conducting a decent amount of research, and a gut reaction. The bottom line is this – if you cannot trust the jeweler, do not do business with him or her.
We would like to recommend ourselves as a quality jeweler serving the Cleveland area. IMG Jewelers has been in business since 1949, and has a stellar reputation locally and regionally. But don’t just take our word for it. Please stop by our Lyndhurst showroom and we can help you select the perfect jewelry for any occasion, or you can contact us today with any questions.