Aside from his wedding ring, a watch is one of the most important accessories in a man’s wardrobe. A fine watch gives the wearer an air of elegance and prestige, in addition to helping him accurately tell time. But buying a watch can be a complicated endeavor because there are so many different types of watches to choose from, including dress watches, casual watches, and sports watches. Here are 5 watch-buying tips that will help you navigate your options and settle on the right watch.
1. Learn the Lingo
Watches have many working parts, so it can be helpful to learn some watch lingo. Knowing watch terminology will also make you sound like a pro when you go out shopping for watches. Some terminology you may want to familiarize yourself with before buying a watch include the following:
- Quartz – Quartz watches use an electronic oscillator that is regulated by a quartz crystal. Quartz watches tend to be more accurate than any other type of watch because the crystal oscillator creates a signal with a very precise frequency.
- Complications – Complications are features added to a watch in addition to its time-telling functions. Examples of complications include alarms, perpetual calendars, and power reserve indicators.
- Dial – A dial is the face of a watch and contains numerals, indices, etc. that are used to read time and display other information.
- Movement – A watch’s movement is comprised of all the inner workings that allow it to tell time. A movement is like a watch’s engine – it is the internal mechanism of a watch.
2. Choose the Right Style
A watch is more than just a time-telling device. A watch can be a reflection of your personality and style. In order to pick the right type of watch, think about when you’ll wear your watch, what you’ll use it for, and how much you’re willing to spend. Do you plan to wear your watch to many formal affairs? Then consider getting a dress watch. If you work out a lot or play sports, you may want to get a water-resistant, easy-to-read sports watch. Will you be wearing your watch all day, every day? Then a casual watch made with a comfortable band material would be a great choice.
3. Analog, Digital, or Analog/Digital?
Analog watches have hour and minute hands along with numbers, markers, or Roman numerals. Analog watches are considered more formal, so they’re ideal for formal events and business meetings. Digital watches have an LCD or LED display and show time in numeric form. Digital watches have a casual appearance, so they are appropriate for wearing with everyday attire. Analog/digital watches have both an analog and digital face, so they are suitable for wearing to work and during your daily routine, but they are not appropriate for formal events.
Prior to buying a watch, it’s important to do some research to ensure that you can find the perfect watch for your needs. IMG Jewelers is one of the top jewelry stores in Cleveland, Ohio that offers a diverse array of watches. If you like watch brands like Swatch, Omega, Tag Heuer, and Citizen, you’ll love the watches we offer. Visit our showroom today to check out our watch collection in person.